Mark D. Olson
Mark D. Olson’s practice is concentrated in representing healthcare providers. Clients include hospitals, home health agencies, physician groups, IPAs, ancillary service providers, adult day care agencies and nursing homes. Mr. Olson also has extensive experience in representing providers in Medicare and Medicaid fraud prosecutions. Prior to entering private practice in 1982, Mr. Olson served as Staff Attorney at American Hospital Association; as Director, Office of Medical-Legal Affairs at the University of Chicago Hospitals & Clinics; and as General Counsel at Alexian Brothers of America, Inc.
While serving as General Counsel for Alexian Brothers of America, Inc., Mr. Olson also served as a Vice President for Edessa Insurance Company, Hamilton, Bermuda. Edessa is a captive insurance company created to provide primary layers of professional liability coverage for then five (5) Alexian Brothers owned Hospitals in the United States.
- Tax Problems of the Hospital Auxiliary, The Volunteer Leader, AHA 1973
- Illinois Malpractice Legislation, Medicine on the Midway, U of Chicago 1975
- Hospital Corporate Organization, Illinois Hospital Law Manual, ISBA 1977
- The Out of Control ED Patient, The Hospital Medical Staff, AHA 1978
- Hospital Corporate Organization and Corporate ByLaws, Hospital Law, IL State Bar Association (1980 and 1985)
- The Case for Self-Assurance, Trustee, AHA May 1981
- Nosocomial Infections-Next Target for Malpractice Suits, The Hospital Medical Staff, American Hospital Association, July 1981
- Organizing a Successful PHO (two parts), Orthopedics Today, February and April 1994
- Join the IDN Revolution (two parts), Trustee, April and September 1996
- Governing Board Performance – The Foundation for the Defense of the Next Round of Not-for-Profit Class Action Lawsuits, Journal of Health and Business Law, Spring 2005
- Compliance begins at the Top: 20 Questions and Answers about Compliance, CCH Health Care Compliance Letter, May 2008